Disclosure: This blog contains affiliate links. Read our full disclosure HERE.
Shannon Walter

Silent Grief | Child Loss Book Review

Easy KETO Meals, Balanced KETO Meal Plan

We're getting a little personal today. Discussing a topic that is deemed taboo by modern society. Grief, specifically the grief of child loss, is all to often dismissed and misunderstood. On January 6th of 2018, Maverick and I were stricken with the grief of early child loss. After what seemed like weeks of unrelenting hyperemesis gravidarum, our precious baby was lost to miscarriage at 11 weeks. To say we were devastated would be an understatement.

Healing in Written Words

Fast forward a few weeks and readjusting to daily life is a struggle. Everything is a reminder of our loss. I didn't want to talk, so I decided to read. While searching through ebooks on my kindle, I came across Silent Grief: Miscarriage-Child Loss: Finding Your Way Through the Darkness by Clara Hinton. In this nonfiction book, Clara Hinton discusses the most intimate thoughts and emotions that surround the grief of child loss.

Heart Questions During Sorrow

From the sting of hearing the words "I'm sorry" to the heart cries wondering where all your friends have gone, Clara gently leads the reader through each unique stage of grief and despair. Suffering losses of her own and holding the hands of dear friends during their times of need has given Clara Hinton much experience with the grief of miscarriage and child loss.

Not only does sorrow over a lost child affect the family unit, friendships are strained as well. Clara explains that friends still care; they just don't always understand.

The Bible Has A Lot to Say About Grief

Scripture references are one of my favorite aspects of this book. I love that Mrs. Hinton quotes Bible passages such as Psalm 77:9-10 and John 8:32. They are full of truths and hopes. In times of darkness and despair, the LORD is ever near.

Final Thoughts

Losing a child is a horrendous tragedy. The shock and grief are so strong that many fail to find their way through to life again. Simply getting "over" child loss is not possible, but getting "through" the depths of despair is possible. In Silent Grief: Miscarriage-Child Loss: Finding Your Way Through the Darkness, you'll discover that you aren't alone in feeling the way you do. Wondering if this really happened and why doesn't anyone care are questions your heart will ask. I know mine does.

Shannon Walter

About Shannon Walter -

Wife, Mommy, and Writer are three of the hats Shannon wears on a daily basis. Natural and holistic wellness is her passion. Diving into medical studies, reading long-winded books, and refitting them into information that is valuable to everyday life.

12 comments

Write comments
Jennifer Maune
February 5, 2018 at 8:12 PM delete

Oh wow. I cannot even imagine the heartbreak you and your family went through, and are still going through. I love the passages you mentioned.

Platforms and Pacifiers
February 6, 2018 at 12:53 PM delete

Child loss is one of the hardest things a parent could ever go through, I'm glad there are resources for parents who have experienced loss.

Lasha
February 6, 2018 at 2:26 PM delete

Thank you for the encouragement. Grief is such a personal and difficult topic.

Shannon Walter
February 7, 2018 at 10:10 AM delete

I love these passages, too. They gently remind me that we are never alone.

Shannon Walter
February 7, 2018 at 10:12 AM delete

You're right. It is hard. An understanding shoulder and words of encouragement are so comforting.

Shannon Walter
February 7, 2018 at 10:13 AM delete

It was a struggle to make write this all out because it is so difficult and personal. I'm so glad you were encouraged <3

Elaine Valerie,
April 25, 2018 at 9:37 AM delete

Dear Shannon, I’m so very sorry to hear about your loss. I can’t even begin to imagine how you must feel, but I wish you all the strength in the world that you need. Just a little additional thought here: maybe sometimes writing could help as well, even if just a little.

Nina
April 25, 2018 at 1:46 PM delete

I'm so sorry about your loss. There are really no words to express the sorrow. I agree about holding on to God's words through Psalm 77:9-10 and John 8:32. God makes everything bearable and helps us overcome.

Anita
April 26, 2018 at 4:39 AM delete

We too lost a baby. She would have been our first. I really grieved for at least 2 years afterwards. Scripture is so comforting! I am glad that the author chose to include it. Great review.

Kamapala Chukwuka
April 26, 2018 at 10:20 AM delete

I too suffered a miscarriage with my 1st child and indeed the pain was beyond my understanding...but like you said I handed my grief over to God...how very freeing. Very heart warming and beautiful post. I loved reading it xx

Evelyn Lo Foreman
April 26, 2018 at 3:13 PM delete

In times of change, I am grateful for wisdom texts, like the Bible, to carry me forward. Losing a child is an unthinkable tragedy and this book sis are to provide comfort in times of loss. xo Many blessings and thank you.

Crisly
April 28, 2018 at 1:18 AM delete

Loosing a child is the most un explainable pain one could ever experienced. As a grieving mom, I can fully relate to this.
No one will ever understand the pain unless you went through the same. People say you will get over it, things happen for a reason, just make a new baby so that you can move on. No! Grieving parents can't just make a new baby and move on. No! Grieving parents can't just get over it. Grieving parents need time to grieve. And the best way you could help them is to say NOTHING! Keep your words within you, and just show them you have their back, you can lend your shoulder for them to cry on. They know that they need to accept the fact that things happened for a reason you don't need to tell them that. They don't need to hear your advice, they just need you to listen.

Traditional Mom, Modern World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. More...

Subscribe & Get the Busy Mom's Guide to Clean Eating